Getting to the Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute
The CRUK Manchester Institute is situated on The Christie NHS Foundation Trust site in Withington. Our main entrance is on Wilmslow Road opposite Kinnaird Road.
View Larger Map
By car from the south
- Take the M6 Northbound and come off at junction 19, signposted Manchester Airport
- Go right at the roundabout, following the signs to the M56/Manchester Airport
- Continue along the dual carriageway proceeding straight on at both sets of traffic lights
- Go right at the roundabout at the end, signposted M56/Manchester Airport. Join the M56 and keep going past Manchester Airport
- The M56 will split with the left-hand lane for Stockport/Didsbury - stay in the right-hand lanes signposted City Centre/A5103. This is the end of the Motorway
- At the big set of staggered lights turn right for A5145/Didsbury
- At the first set of crossroads turn left
- Keep going straight on, over the next cross roads with the Four in Hand pub on your left and The Northern Lawn Tennis Club on your right. Take the 5th road on your right (near a set of pedestrian lights), Oak Road
- At the end of Oak Road turn left and you are at the CRUK Manchester Institute - please be aware that parking is difficult and wardens are abundant
By car from the north
Although you can come off the M6 and take the M62 into Manchester, we recommend you come off after Junction 20 on the M6 and join the M56 (signposted Manchester Airport). Follow the above directions from joining the M56 onwards.
Take a train to Manchester Piccadilly, then either:
- Take a taxi (plenty outside the railway station, approximately £10 fare to the Institute). If the driver doesn't know the CRUK Manchester Institute ask for the Christie Hospital.
- Go to Piccadilly bus station and catch a number 42 bus towards Stockport/Didsbury/Reddish or a blue Magic Bus (number 142) to East Didsbury. Ask for the Christie Hospital and the driver will let you know which stop to get off at. It can take 20-40 mins by bus depending on the time of day. The bus stop is immediately after the Christie, and the Institute entrance is just ahead of you on the opposite side of the road.
Arrive at Manchester Airport and take a taxi. Ask for the CRUK Manchester Institute or the Christie Hospital. Approximate price £15, journey time around 20 minutes.