Metabolism analysis: Seahorse XFe
The Seahorse XFe Extracellular Flux Analyser has been installed in the laboratory for the simultaneous measure of mitochondrial respiration and glycolysis. The analyser measures in vitro cell’s oxygen consumption rate (OCR), and extracellular acidification rate (ECAR) in real time from a custom multi-well plate. The system assesses the affects of up to four compounds over time and how cellular functions such as oxidative phosphorylation, glycolysis, and fatty acid oxidation are altered.
In the field of oncology the system has been utilised in assays that include:
- determining the basal oxygen consumption and glycolysis rates
- describing metabolic phenotypes
- elucidating respiratory capacity
- studying mitochondrial dysfunction
- ATP turnover
- glucose, fatty acid, and amino acid metabolism
- homeostasis maintenance
- bienergetic analysis of hematopoietic stem cells and lymphocytes
- generating bioenergetic profiles of human adipocytes
- cell signaling in primary, adherent, tumor and suspension cells or islets, and isolated mitochondria
Seahorse Bioscience [link]
The facility's Seahorse system is located in the MCRC 1st floor.